Carb Backloading (A 2 Week Experiment)
If you’ve read my blog for any amount of time, you know I have a tendency to get sucked into trendy diets. What? I can’t help it. I’m also really wishy washy and go back and forth. Whoops. Talk about your average stupid dieter. IFing one day, counting one day, not the next, yar yar yar.
Finally I’ve found a way of eating that works for me and I don’t want to f*ck with it. For the last few months I have been:
- eating a solid 3 meals a day with an occasional snack or something pre-workout
- don’t weigh or measure my food, track macros/calories, or do anything fancy
- fast if I’m not hungry, eat if I am but not according to any ‘protocol’
- eating paleo but not at the expense of enjoying going out with friends and living life
Eating this way has allowed me to maintain my leanness, put on a WEEE bit of lean mass, increase my strength, and genuinely not give a shit. Basically, I am not going to mess the good thing I have going. So…… carb backloading?
Well, I’ve been reading a lot about it and it has me curious! Don’t you roll your eyes at me.
Stop it. I’m not going to mess anything up.
Because it’s kind of how I already eat. DURDADURRRRRRR
For example, my day kind of looks like this:
- Today I had 3 eggs and an avocado.
- For lunch, I typically have some kind of salad or meat and veggies and a piece of fruit.
- I might have a snack before I train. This varies a lot. Usually it depends on what is in my friends…a smaller portion of meat, MAYBE another piece of fruit, etc.
- PWO/dinner I’ll have a boatload of veggies, a bigger portion of ‘protein’, a hunk-o-carbs like sweet potato.
To carb backload, all I need to do is move my fruit to dinner time. Hell, I’ll probably just call it “dessert”. Really though, that’s all I need to change and that is a mindless detail. If you’re curious to learn more about CBL, here are some great places to start exploring:
Personally, I am just going to gauge progress on my lifts, how I feel, energy, etc. I’m just tinkering with it because I’m a big ol’ sucker and this stuff makes me geek out.
PALEO CHALLENGE UPDATE:
Save for some wine and half a black russian (I gave it away after drinking half LOL) on Saturday, I’ve been doing fine. I’ve had only one small cup of coffee in a week. No desserts or meals out. I haven’t had any cravings either, which is good. That was my main reason for doing this since my sugar cravings were pwning me at every opportunity.