Random Crap – 8/30/12
1) YESSS. The school year is finally about to start! HALLELUJAH! Do you know how hard that word is to spell? I registered for classes on Tuesday (yeah, cutting it close, I know). I’m taking Biochemistry and Nutrition: A Biochemical and Physiological Approach…. and 6 TA credits.
I really like the track I’m on because it is going to have a lot less (read: almost none) ‘eat this not that’ type courses. It is more of a biochemistry approach to nutrition. Winning!
2) FOOTBALL SEASON FOOTBALL SEASON FOOOOOTTTTBALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
My allegiances are clear.
Thank goodness the Hokies and the Scarlet Knights are in different conferences. Not that it would be much of a contest
3) New school year, new rules.
I’m in pretty pathetic physical shape at the moment. I mean purely performance wise. It’s been a tough month: Moving, no gym access, moving again, still no gym access. All that said, I’ve let some goals slip and been a little more sedentary than I should have. No more! I read Harold’s post “Planning How to Sweat Every Day” the other day and I thought, “Damn. He’s right.”
I haven’t exactly decided what my plan will be yet, because I don’t know when the labs are that I am TAing. However, I do know I need to schedule time to work out. From what I hear, I won’t have 5 minutes of free time to myself as a grad student unless I plan accordingly and that is just what is going to have to happen.
This morning, I got up and went for a jog for the first time in years. I just wanted to. I only jogged about 12 minutes and then walked another 8ish…but it felt good. I want to do that more.
This one is To Be Continued……
4) Whipped Cream Coffee
For those of you that drink heavy cream in your coffee.
- heavy whipping cream
- cocoa powder
- hot coffee
- optional: coconut flakes, honey, vanilla extract
- Pour the whipping cream and ‘flavors’ in a bowl and whip until it’s whipped cream.
- Aliquot into mugs (I did about 1/4 c into each mug. I was intending it to be a standalone dessert when I made it)
- Cover with plastic wrap
- Freeze overnight
- The next morning, let the mug sit out for a few minutes so it doesn’t break when you add the coffee.
- Add hot coffee to frozen whipped cream, stir a bit, and consume happily.
This was awesome because it didn’t all dissolve in the coffee so I had a happy frozen dessert at the end of my cup! I wish I had a good picture!